Thursday, June 11, 2009

Young Son's portrait


Second day's work on young son's portrait. I had read about a formula for skin tones on line and decided to try it: White, Cad Red Light, Cad Yellow Med, Yellow Ochre and Burnt Sienna. It suits his skin tones which are warm and brown, but I am finding this limited palette a bit dull.

I was watching a special on PBS last night about the Da Vinci painting, Ginevra de' Benci. A luminous beautiful portrait of a girl. I was fascinated by her skin tones and when I really studied them, I noticed touches of very light pale blues and greens used for highlights on the upper checkbones and the eye lids. It made me wonder if this is what created the luminosity. I don't know that this would be suited for my son's portrait due to the heavy role shadow plays, but will try it on another work of a young infant girl I am trying to finish, but have yet to be satisfied.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sharon: I came here from the link you have in About.com. I just started a blog here also http://lokelaniforrest.blogspot.com. I just wanted to say I really dolike this portrait of your son. I don't recall seeing it on About.com. Come check out my blog. I think I'll become one of your followers here.

    ReplyDelete