Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Thoughts on Subject Matter




I am always thinking about painting. Currently my mind bounces from portrait work to landscapes.

Here is the beginning portrait of my younger son, but am also working on a large landscape of a Burr Oak which is in a much more completed state. I am itching to get back to it but can only work it on weekends as it is stored off site due to it's size.

Driving home from work every day or looking out the window, I study trees for their colors and shapes. I strain to see every color I can find and identify them as some would search for birds! The mental debate; do I want the tree to hold equal emphasis on the canvas with the landscape around it (ala Vulliard, whose large canvases recently inspired me at the Art Institute) or make the Burr Oak the absolute center of attention.

I am painting plein air on Saturday morning at St. John's Church and am looking forward to trying a tonalistic style.

No comments:

Post a Comment